Friday, May 25, 2012

The Perfect Fit

Compact Korean Azalea
Last year, I needed a filler plant for a small area in the back garden.  I had extended a planting bed into the adjacent shady area where grass was too challenged to grow.  This bed is backed by a large Rhododendrons.  Since I liked how my native azaleas (Rhododendron viscosum) had grown into another large-leafed evergreen rhododendron nearby, I though adding a deciduous azalea here would work too.  But I also wanted spring color. (My native azaleas bloom in summer.) 


The new space was small.  So when I found a Korean azalea labeled "compact", I thought I'd give it a try.  Its mature size will only be four feet wide and two feet tall.  When I bought this small cultivar (Azalea poukhanense 'Compacta'), it was out of bloom, but the picture on the attached label showed a rosy-purple flower. 


When it bloomed this spring, it looked a bit more purple which I actually prefer.  Combined with a bright green hosta in front, this new addition really adds a bright punch to this once forgotten corner of my garden. 


More purple than pink blooms

2 comments:

Astrid said...

Hope it stays the size you want. Excellent colour combination of the rhodo and the hosta.
Astrid

Jeff, Gardener in Chief said...

These grow pretty slow and a little pruning near mature height usually keep the size in check. However, I'm not one for cropping into a perfect shape. I think the natural shape of shrubs are usually much more attractive. Thanks for reading.